Let’s talk about a few simple ways to naturally whiten your teeth. It is well believed that laughter is the best medicine because it does not only benefit the one who is laughing, but it also spreads positivity and happiness amongst the people surrounding them. But, it is also a worry to the person laughing that they might be exposing out the yellowed dental pearls. A smile exposing white teeth makes it all the more beautiful. Therefore, teeth whitening is an important and healthy habit to follow.
What are the reasons for your teeth turning yellow?
The enamel makes the natural color of the teeth white. Therefore, when the enamel layer wears off, it exposes the layer inside, which is yellow, and thus, makes the tooth appear yellowish.
Other factors that can turn the teeth yellow:
- Drinking tea, coffee, or/and wine regularly as it contains tannin and stains the tooth
- Eating acidic food wears down the enamel. Therefore, one should consume less citrus, soda, and coffee.
- Smoking tobacco products leave stains of nicotine on your teeth and also lead to tooth decay and other gum diseases.
- Consuming sugary products create bacteria that can cause gingivitis and plaque.
- Brushing right after your meal, though it seems harmless, it is recommended by dentists that this practice should be avoided. This is because acid and sugar that is produced right after eating weakens the enamel, and immediately brushing your teeth worsen the health of enamel.
How to whiten your teeth naturally?
Here are a few simple ways to naturally whiten your teeth:
- Oil Pulling: It is a traditional Indian way of mouth washing to remove bacteria, dirt, and debris. The research shows that it is also helpful in teeth whitening.
- How is it done? Coconut oil the best-preferred choice for oil pulling because of its health benefits and taste. It decreases inflammation and helps in killing bacteria. For oil pulling, take a teaspoon of the oil and put it into your mouth for 50 to 60 seconds right after brushing and then spit it out and rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush teeth with baking soda: Baking soda helps polish the surface of the teeth and also remove the stains. It also helps to fight bacteria and prevents tooth decay and plaque. Use this judiciously, as letting it stay for a longer duration may erode your enamel.
- Rubbing orange/banana peel on your teeth: These two peels are rich in magnesium and help to improve the enamel. Therefore, before brushing the teeth, rub the inside of the peel on your teeth, twice a week.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: One can use Apple Cider Vinegar in the form of mouthwash by diluting it with water, keeping it in the mouth for a recommended duration, spitting it out, and then rinsing the mouth with clean water. It is considered as the best disinfectant and a natural cleaning product.
- Teeth Whitening Strips: Nowadays teeth whitening strips are widely used as it contains a layer of hydrogen peroxide and other active ingredients that when put to the teeth for a few minutes, will result in bleaching off the surface stains from the teeth.
- Everyday Oral Hygiene Care: One should brush teeth twice a day to protect the enamel and prevent the gums from decaying. One should always clean the gums and back of the teeth during brushing. In addition to brushing the teeth, one should practice the routine of flossing the teeth as it helps to remove plaque from teeth.
Therefore, follow these simple ways to naturally whiten your teeth and maintaining the overall oral hygiene to have sparkling white and healthy teeth.
Himanshu is a law student who lives in Delhi. He caught the writing bug a few months ago and has been unstoppable ever since. He enjoys traveling, coffee, and the company of like-minded people.