Leather covers signify luxury. They are seen as a commodity of expensive cars. There are many advantages to opting for leather seat covers, even though they cost more than all seat covers. Those who cannot shell out as much as is needed for the leather seat cover can buy car seat covers made of leatherette. Leatherette seat covers look and feel like genuine leather but are of synthetic material.
Leather Car Seat Covers
If you see cars like Bentley, Rolls Royce, Mercedes Benz etcetera, you will see they use fine grain leather, the Nappa leather.
Advantages To Opting For Leather Seat Covers
• Leather seat covers are much more resistant to stains than all the other covers and are easy to clean.
• They respond very well to ventilation keeping the car cool or hot when necessary.
• Leather material is very durable and can last for a very long time.
• Leather works to improve the car’s aesthetic feel and boost the interior décor.
• Leather also adds to the resale value of the car.
Problems With Leather Car Seats
• Buying leather car seats is much heavier on the pocket than fabric seats. In case of minor damage to the leather car seat, it is costly to repair.
• Leather car seats are not at all eco-friendly.
• Leather car seats are pretty slippery. Therefore, the driver does not have enough traction on the seat.
• Leather seats are susceptible to temperature. The seats may become too hot in the summer months, while the temperatures may go down to freezing levels in the winter months.
• If you have pets or toddlers, leather seats can get scratched and damage the interior look.
Caring For Leather Seats
When caring for leather seats, you should either opt for professional help or vacuum them, use a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner for cleaning your leather seats.
Fabric Car Seats
Fabric car seats are much easier to manufacture than leather seats. They also do not cost as much as leather. They are more durable and practical. Unfortunately, the oomph factor is less when it comes to fabric car seats, but they are much more useful, especially if you have pets or kids in the house.
Advantages Of Fabric Car Seats
• Easy to manufacture and cheap
• Much less temperature sensitive
• Available in a wide variety of textiles like velour, cotton, neoprene etcetera
• Resistant to wear and tear of the weather
• You do not have to bother about maintenance. Just periodically wash it.
• Gets dirty quickly
• Prone to fading
• Odours are hard to get rid of
• Can cause allergies
The fabric seat covers must be cared for by vacuuming, using a fabric solvent, and finally using a microfiber cloth to wipe off any extra solvents. The solvent should not dry out on the seat cover.
Whether you buy car seat covers online or offline, make sure to check out a few shops before you make your purchase. This is done to get the best price for the product.