Are you able to locate the main water shutoff valve in your home? If you don’t know the location of your main water shut-off valve in five seconds, you should locate it and keep track of where it is in case you have a serious leak. You could be in for a nightmare emergency plumbing service.
Where can I find my main water shut-off valve?
- Near the perimeter of your house is where you will find the shut-off valve. You don’t need to inspect the central areas of your house.
- Shut-off valves will be found on the ground floor, so forget about the upstairs. It will be found here for those who have basements.
- Water lines typically run straight from the main water supply to the shutoff valve, with no additional piping or detours. If you know the location of your water main, find out where the shortest route to your home is. This is where the valve will be located.
- An inspection report is provided to buyers when they purchase a house. This report will show you where your main water shutoff valve is located.
- Are you able to identify the location of the large panel in your home? Since it is illegal to cover this panel behind the wall, it houses the shutoff valve.
Shut Off Valves for Plumbing Fixtures
It’s not always a slow leak when a leak occurs. Sometimes the water may rush out and pool on your floor. Before you rush to the main water shutoff valve, check if your fixture has its own shut-off valve.
- Toilet– A small valve will be located on the wall against which your toilet is situated. To stop water from flowing, it is located under the bowl.
- Sink – The small shut-off valve will be located under the sink in your cabinet. It is similar to the toilet. To stop water from leaking, turn the handle clockwise during a leaky pipe or faucet.
- Washing machine – Every washing machine needs two valves, sometimes with a lever. To stop water from flowing, both of these valves must be turned counterclockwise. You may need to remove the washer slightly from the wall if you can’t see the lever or valves.
If you have a leaky pipe, knowing how to stop it from leaking into your home will help you prevent major water damage. The Plumber is available to help you with any plumbing problem. Check to see if your area is available if you are looking for a trustworthy plumber.